Please review all of the important details about the fine print of using a Live Near Your Work (LNYW) grant to help purchase a home in Baltimore City.
- Grants are available on a first-come, first served basis and may be discontinued at any time.
- Grants are provided at the discretion of the Office of Work, Life & Engagement and Baltimore City Office of Homeownership.
- Applying for a LNYW grant does not guarantee that a grant will be received.
- Grants are available only for homes purchased within target areas designated by the LNYW program, and the amount of the grant varies based on the location of the home. The boundaries of a target area include houses on both sides of the boundary street.
- A homeownership counseling certificate is required as part of the LNYW grant application process.
- Reservation of grant funds, final approval, and disbursement of funds is contingent upon the timely receipt of the documents required by the Office of Work, Life & Engagement and Baltimore City Office of Homeownership.
- Grant money may only be used for down payment and closing costs at settlement for the purchase of an eligible home; one grant per eligible address.
- LNYW home purchases must be the primary residence of the Grantee, as defined by the State of Maryland, for a period of five years from the date of settlement, or Grantee will be subject to repay all or a portion of the grant per the following schedule:
- 100% repayment if the home is not the primary residence during the first three years from the settlement date.
- 50% repayment if the home is not the primary residence during the period from three years and one day through four years from the settlement date.
- 25% repayment if the home is not the primary residence during the period from four years and one day through five years from the settlement date.
This means that a grant recipient will be required to repay all or a portion of grant monies received if the home is sold and/or the home is not the primary residence of the recipient during the five year period after the settlement date. In addition to repayment, grant recipients may be subject to disciplinary action if the failure to abide by grant requirements was not for good cause.
- LNYW may be available to newly-hired employees who are relocating to the area, per a separate written provision signed by the employee, the hiring person, and LNYW program coordinator.
- False statements or material omissions made by an employee on, or in connection with, an application for a LNYW grant can result in denial of the grant, repayment of any grant funds received by the employee, and disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- No cash sales allowed. You must finance a mortgage loan in order to use the program. You are not able to use the following types of loans:
- no documentation loan
- interest only loan
- conventional 80/20 loan
- adjustable rate loan
- any loans for which prepayment penalties or fees are applicable or assessed
- loan amount cannot exceed $517,500