The Adoption Assistance Plan
The University provides adoption assistance to eligible employees. Full-time faculty and staff with at least two consecutive years of full-time JHU service immediately prior to the initiation of the adoption process are eligible to participate in this program.
Document expenses will be covered for a single child adoption to a maximum of $2,500 per family for all combined expenses. For the simultaneous adoption of two children, the maximum reimbursement will be $5,000 per family for all combined expenses.
- Reasonable and customary public and private agency fees permitted or required under the law of the state having jurisdiction over the adoption
- Reasonable and customary legal and court fees
- Reasonable and customary fees for medical and hospital services provided to the child, the natural mother, and the adopting parents
- Transportation fees associated with the adoption
- Temporary foster care charges
- Costs associated with legal guardianship
How to participate in the Adoption Assistance Plan:
- Eligible children include any child under age 12 at the time the adoption process is initiated. Adoptions of stepchildren are not covered under the plan if the natural, custodial parent is living.
- Reimbursement will be made following the submission of a completed Adoption Assistance Plan form with appropriate documentation.
- Adoption expenses reimbursed by the University are considered taxable income and taxes will be withheld. The benefit paid will be reported on the W-2 as additional income.
- Reimbursement under this plan is limited to one adoption process during any two year period.
- Questions about the plan should be directed to the Benefits Service Center, 1101 E. 33rd Street, Suite D-100, Baltimore, MD 21218.
Phone: 410-516-2000 Fax: 410-516-7930