Leave of Absence Policies
As you approach the arrival date of your new family member, you will consider how much paid and unpaid leave you would like to take. The Family and Medical Leave Act entitles eligible employees to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.
Family Medical Leave
The JHU Policy for Family Medical Leave describes the provisions of the Act and the steps that need to be taken by you and your supervisor. If there are additional questions as to how this applies to you, contact your Divisional Human Resources Office.
Issues to Consider
- Will you be paid for any portion of your Family and Medical Leave?
- Do you want to change any of your benefits while on Family and Medical Leave?
- Will JHU hold your position while you are on Family and Medical Leave?
When you apply for Family and Medical Leave, be sure to:
- Notify your supervisor.
- Learn about your benefit payment options while on leave. Depending on the type of leave, you may be billed directly on a month by month basis in order to continue your benefits.
- Contact the Benefits Service Center within 30 days of returning from a leave of absence to reinstate your benefits or make changes.
Remember, you are only allowed to make changes that are consistent with your life event.
If You Don't Take Action
If you do not confirm the continuation of your benefits through direct billing, your JHU benefits may not continue during your leave.
If you have elected Short-Term Disability, this benefit may be of use to help replace a portion of your paycheck during this life transition. Benefits begin after the 14th consecutive day of illness and continue for up to 11 weeks provided you remain disabled and unable to work. The plan will pay 60% of your weekly base earnings, not to exceed $1,000 per week, for an eligible absence. You may elect or drop your coverage during annual enrollment.
Human Resources Contact Information
JHU Benefits Service Center
Johns Hopkins at Eastern
1101 E. 33rd St., Suite D200
Baltimore, MD 21218
JHH/JHHS Benefits Service Center
1101 E. 33rd St., 2nd Floor
Baltimore, MD 21218