To participate in this plan, you must be a full-time faculty or staff member with at least one year of full-time JHU service immediately prior to the initiation of the adoption process, and remain employed through the date of adoption.
Children covered by the plan include any child under age 12 at the time the adoption process is initiated. Adoptions of stepchildren or children of same-sex domestic partners are not eligible if the natural, custodial parent is living.
About the Plan
This plan covers documented, eligible expenses for a single adoption up to a maximum of $15,000 per family. For the simultaneous adoption of two children, the maximum reimbursement will be $5,000 per family for all eligible expenses.
Requests must be received within 60 days of the adoption. Reimbursements are considered taxable income and taxes will be withheld when they are paid. Reimbursements will be reported on your W-2 as additional income.
Reimbursement under the plan is limited to one adoption process during any two-year period.
- Reasonable and customary public and private agency fees permitted or required under the law of the state having jurisdiction over the adoption
- Reasonable and customary legal and court fees
- Reasonable and customary fees for medical and hospital services provided to the child, the natural mother, and the adopting parents
- Transportation fees associated with the adoption
- Temporary foster care charges
- Costs associated with legal guardianship
How to Participate
Contact Benefits at email@example.com or 410-516-2000.