JHU Staff Milestone Recognition
You are among Johns Hopkins University's greatest assets. Without dedicated employees who work tirelessly to achieve common goals, the university would not have a significant impact worldwide.
The Johns Hopkins University Staff Milestone Recognition program is held to honor staff members as valued contributors to the university's success, improve morale, and nurture loyalty by recognizing those celebrating milestone anniversaries with the university.
2019 Staff Recognition Dinner
Full-time and part-time staff members celebrating 20 or more years of service in increments of 5 years of service with the university, whose anniversaries fall between July 11, 2018 and July 10, 2019, inclusive, will be invited to the Staff Milestone Recognition Dinner on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. in the Ralph S. O'Connor Recreation Center on the Homewood campus. Staff members with more than 40 years of service are invited every year. Invitations will go out in April.
2019 Recognition Receptions
Full-time and part-time staff members who served the university for 5, 10, or 15 years, with service anniversaries between July 11, 2018 and July 10, 2019, inclusive, will be invited to attend a milestone recognition reception. Honorees at each event will enjoy a celebration with their colleagues, department directors, and senior leadership.
Receptions for staff celebrating service anniversaries of 5, 10, and 15 years include:
- Nitze School of Advanced International Studies on Thursday, June 27, time and place TBD
- Bloomberg School of Public Health on Thursday, June 13, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. in Feinstone Hall
- School of Nursing on Thursday, May 30, 3pm, 800 N. Wolfe St., 16th Floor
- School of Medicine on Tuesday, June 11, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. in the Turner Concourse
- Homewood Reception on Thursday, June 27, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. in the Glass Pavilion, Levering Hall
(Staff from Academic & Business Centers, Carey Business School, Homewood Student Affairs, Krieger School of Arts & Sciences, Peabody Institute, School of Education, University Administration, University Libraries & JHU Museums, and Whiting School of Engineering will be recognized at the Homewood Reception.)
Staff celebrating milestone anniversaries with the university may choose from a variety of custom designed service awards. Staff will receive a congratulatory email on the month of their anniversary inviting them to select a recognition award. Upon selecting an award, staff will have the option to have the award delivered to their address of choice (work or home).
If you did not receive an email from President Daniels during the month of your anniversary acknowledging your milestone and believe you should be on the list of people celebrating a milestone anniversary, please email or call 410-516-2000.
Full and part time staff in all divisions of the university are recognized, including:
- Academic & Business Centers
- Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Carey Business School
- Homewood Student Affairs
- Krieger School of Arts and Sciences
- Peabody Institute
- Nitze School of Advanced International Studies
- School of Education
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- University Administration
- University Libraries and JHU Museums
- Whiting School of Engineering
Levering Hall cafeteria staff who were formerly employed by Hopkins prior to July, 1971 and have remained at the university to work under new sub-contractors are recognized.
Not included in the Staff Recognition Program:
- Casual, limited, and temporary staff
- Hospital service before transfer to the university payroll (administrative transfers are reviewed on a case by case basis)
- Retired staff who work on a casual, limited, part-time or full-time basis
Policies for Breaks in Service
If a full-time or part-time staff member leaves the university for more than three months before completing one year of continuous service, he or she is not eligible to have his or her service bridged.
If a full-time or part-time staff member is employed with the university for at least one year continuously and goes on a leave of absence for 3 months or less, his or her service is treated as if there was no break.
If a full-time or part-time staff member is employed with the university for at least one year continuously, is let go due a reduction in force and is rehired in 3 months or less, his or her service is treated as if there was no break.
If a full-time or part-time staff member works for for at least one year and is rehired after more than three months, the staff member's service date is adjusted to account for the time not employed. For example, if a staff member is hired on 2/1/2014, is terminated on 3/1/2015, and is rehired on 11/1/2016, his or her new start date for service accrual will be 10/1/2015. This is calculated by taking the hire date and moving it forward the one year, eight months the staff member was not employed. This employee will now celebrate his or her five year milestone on 10/1/2020 instead of 2/1/2019, as he or she would have without the break in service.
If you feel that you may be eligible to have your service bridged, please email or call 410-516-2000. Include the following details for each continuous period of employment:
- Date of hire
- Date of start of leave or termination
- Date of return or rehire
- Division and department where you worked
- Employment status (full-time or part-time)
- Whether you were faculty or staff
Include your full name (and any former names under which you worked) and your SAP personnel number (found on your E210 sheet).
The university annually recognizes retirees who meet current university guidelines as published by the Benefits Administration. Retirees must:
- Be at least 55 at termination and have completed 10 or more years of continuous full-time service with the university immediately prior to termination, OR
- Have completed 30 or more years of continuous full-time service with the university immediately prior to termination, regardless of age
Note: A leave of absence from which an employee does not return to full-time service does not count toward satisfying the criteria.