Staff Milestone Recognition
The Johns Hopkins University Staff Milestone Recognition program is held to honor staff members as valued contributors to the university's success, improve morale and nurture loyalty by recognizing those celebrating milestone anniversaries with the university. The Office of Work, Life and Engagement strives to ensure that each recipient is recognized with a positive and meaningful career event.
Staff members celebrating 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and greater milestone anniversaries in increments of 5 years of service with the university, whose anniversaries fall between July 11, 2013 and July 10, 2014, inclusive, as well as retirees, will be invited to the Staff Recognition Dinner on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 at 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. in the Ralph S. O´ Connor Recreation Center on the Homewood campus.
Milestone Recognition Receptions
Staff members who have served the university for 5, 10 or 15 years, with service anniversaries between July 11, 2013 and July 10, 2014, will be invited to attend a recognition reception. Honorees at each event will be presented with their recognition award.
- Nitze School of Advanced International Studies on Tuesday, June 11, 3:30- 5:00 p.m. in the Herter Room, 1740 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington D.C.
- Staff from Academic & Cultural Centers, Carey Business School, Homewood Student Affairs, Jhpiego, Johns Hopkins University Press, Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, Peabody, School of Education, The Johns Hopkins Club, University Administration, University Libraries and JHU Museums, and Whiting School of Engineering will be recognized at the Homewood reception on Tuesday, June 11, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. in the Glass Pavilion, Levering Hall.
- School of Nursing on Monday, June 16, 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. in the Carpenter Room
- School of Medicine on Tuesday, June 17, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m., in Turner Concourse
- Bloomberg School of Public Health on Monday, June 24, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. in Feinstone Hall
Staff celebrating milestone anniversaries with the university may choose from a variety of custom designed service awards to be presented at the annual series of recognition events in June.
Starting with your five-year anniversary, and in five-year increments thereafter, you will receive an email in February with an opportunity to choose a recognition gift. You will also be invited to a recognition event in June for each five-year service milestone. Should you reach 20 years of service, you will receive an invitation to the Staff Recognition Dinner scheduled for June 4, 2014.
If you received an email or letter in the mail from President Daniels acknowledinging a milestone anniversary, you must go to www.jhurecognition.com and select your gift by February 18, 2014. You will need the username and password listed in the communication from President Daniels. If you did not receive an email or letter in the mail, and believe you should be on the list of people celebrating a milestone anniversary, please email or call 443-997-7000. (Note: the list is organized by years of service.)
To be recognized for years of service, you must be a full-time or part-time staff member with a minimum of 5 years of continuous service with the university. Recipients who have completed 5, 10, 15, 20, or more years of service, in increments of 5 years, and whose service anniversary falls between July 11, 2013 and July 10, 2014 are honored by the university
Staff in all divisions of the university are recognized, including:
Academic & Cultural Centers
Bloomberg School of Public Health
Carey Business School
Homewood Student Affairs
The Johns Hopkins University Press
Krieger School of Arts and Sciences
Nitze Schools of Advanced International Studies
School of Education
School of Medicine
School of Nursing
University Libraries and JHU Museums
Whiting School of Engineering
Levering Hall cafeteria staff who were formerly employed by Hopkins prior to July 1971 and have remained at the university to work under new sub-contractors are recognized.
Johns Hopkins Club staff with 5, 10 15 or more years of service are eligible for recognition.
NOT included in the Staff Recognition Program:
- Casual, limited and temporary staff
- Hospital service before transfer to the university payroll (administrative transfers are reviewed on a case by case basis)
- Retired staff who work on a casual, limited, part-time or full-time basis
- Staff members who are on disability at the time they reach their service anniversary date are recognized once they return to work
Exceptions for a break in service:
Full-time or part-time staff members who leave the university after completing a minimum of five years of service, and then return to the university as full-time or part-time staff members, may be eligible to have their service bridged for recognition purposes.
If you feel that you may be eligible to have your service bridged, please email or call 443-997-7000. Include the following details for each continuous period of employment: date of employment, date of termination, division and department where you worked, employment status (full-time or part-time), and whether you were faculty or staff. Include your full name (and any former names under which you worked) and your SAP personnel number.
The university annually recognizes retirees who meet current university guidelines as published by Benefits Administration. Retirees must also:
- Be at least age 55 at termination and have completed 10 or more years of continuous full-time service with the university immediately prior to termination OR
- Have completed 30 or more years of continuous full-time service with the university immediately prior to termination, regardless of age
- Note: A leave of absence from which an employee does not return to full-time service does not count
toward satisfying the criteria.